When you go on safari, the traditional way to see animals is generally from the comfort of a Land Cruiser. However, there is a new trend that is growing in popularity – the walking safari.
A fabulous alternative and unique experience offered by Madikwe Safari Lodge that allows you to get up close and personal with nature. A walking safari really invigorates all your senses – you can smell everything, feel the sun on your skin, and hear the sounds of the bush.
The ideal walking safari in South Africa
Located in South Africa’s North West Province, Madikwe is home to the Big Five – lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and buffalos. However, although you might be lucky enough to witness these large infamous mammals, it’s usually the smaller sights and sounds that one is able to appreciate while out on a walking safari.
One of the best things about a walking safari is that you can take your time. Stop, pause and listen to the sounds of nature all around you. There is nothing quite like breathing in fresh air while surrounded by the beauty of Africa’s bushveld.
Walking Safari Tips:
- Always follow the guidelines set by your tour guide. They know the area and will be able to keep you safe.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear. Closed-toed shoes are a must, and long pants will protect you from insects and plants.
- Stay aware of your surroundings at all times. Pay attention to the animals and terrain, and be prepared for anything.
- Make sure to apply sunscreen and insect repellent before heading out, even on cloudy days, the sun can catch you and you don’t want to spend your holiday treating sunburn.
- Carry binoculars or a camera with you so that you can get a good view or capture any special moments while out.
Bushwalks in South Africa
Bushwalks are an amazing way to connect with nature, they create a sense of adventure and adrenaline. When you’re walking in the bush, you never know what’s going to happen. Will you see a leopard stalking its prey? Will an elephant charge? It’s this sense of unpredictability that makes walking safaris so unique. Finally, walking safaris raise your awareness, as when on foot you have to be constantly aware of your surroundings. This heightened awareness makes walking safaris a truly unique African experience.
How do I book a walking safari in Madikwe?
So, if you are looking for an African safari with a difference, be sure to add a walking safari to your itinerary! You won’t regret it. Luxury, adventure and unforgettable memories await.
Walking among Africa’s big five is an experience that will stay with you forever. So, what are you waiting for?
Visit our website see find out more about the experiences Madikwe Safari Lodge has on offer